Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I Am Still Here

Oh my! What a month this has been since my last post! I finished my stocking just in time. I even finished a few Christmas gifts, which I will post about later. 
My mother, who is 72 and lives in Florida, had a mild heart attack, but that wasn't the worst of it. She had not been eating or drinking enough so her body had built up toxins in her body and she needed kidney dialysis. A nurse on the ICU floor told me her condition was so bad she didn't think she would make it. I was devastated!   

My mom and I did not get along while I was growing up. My grandparents raised me. My sewing and crafting skills I learned from my grandmother, granny, and the ladies on Leech Lake Indian Reservation. I lived there since  my second grandfather was an Ojibwe Indian. I could not believe this nurse was telling me mom was going to die! My mom promised me she was going to live to be 100 just so she could pick on me. I had not finished her art piece yet. She can't die yet. I have designed a special piece just for her. I call it  "Roses for Momma". I have it almost done. I put it aside, as I did other projects over the holidays. It is back on the board now. I started the art quilt because flowers don't last but fabric will. Last Valentines Day she was in the hospital, so instead of flowers, I started designing a rose piece for her. It is a work in progress. I hope to have it finished by Valentine Day. That is my goal. Here are a few pictures of the work in progress.

Before Background was added

As I was adding background fabric


    
Background and Round Table Top Added

                   





I decided I was not going to call the day nurse any more. I called the night nurse in ICU B, Anita was her name and I am so grateful for her assurances that mom was making progress. She was so helpful each night and made me feel so much better. I knew the first few days were rough for mom, but mom kept her promise. I talked to her yesterday. She told me of course she was going to live to be 100 how can she pick on me if she dies. She will be going to a rehab center to get strong enough to go home. Less worries for us kids.


Now tell me what you of the new piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment